Shopping for a home right now? Here are some tips…
If you are currently on the search for a new home, here are some suggestions during this challenging situation with Covid-19:
- Work closely with your REALTOR® to narrow down the homes you view to the ones that really match your needs. Set up a Zoom meeting to view properties together online to short-list potential properties. Ask your agent to request permission from the seller to do a FaceTime or Duo tour with you, or for permission to video the property.
- If you have traveled recently or are feeling unwell, please let your agent know. You may need to self-isolate, in which case your agent may be able to provide you with “live” tours of your preferred properties via FaceTime or Duo.
- Travel in your own vehicle to all showings, and practice social distancing with your agent while touring homes.
- Use hand sanitizer before and after viewing a home. Avoid touching surfaces in the home when possible, and while it might be tempting, it’s best to not use the washroom.
- We understand you may be concerned about signing documents with your lawyer. In Alberta, final documents have up until this time been required to be done in person. We reached out to the legal community and have learned that remote signing options may be coming here soon, as Ontario has done.
- If you have recently purchased a home and possession is in the near future, we suggest you reach out to your lawyer to make an appointment sooner rather than later to avoid any potential delays.
- Title insurance companies are also working closely with the legal profession to cover any potential closing of the Land Titles Office, to ensure closings can still take place.
And if you’re just thinking about starting a property search, please reach out to us. We can help you navigate through this challenging time. We’re here to help and keep you moving!
– Kathy Schmidt, Broker Owner, Schmidt Realty Group Inc.