Summer Hot Dogs
Summer hot dogs… the kind with ketchup and mustard are great, but the other kind can be really dangerous! We’re a bunch of dog lovers at Schmidt (check out #DogsOfSchmidt on IG for photos!). With the heat waves coming fast and furiously this summer, we thought you might appreciate some info on how to keep your canine cool this summer!
4 Risks to be aware of:
- It might surprise you, but fans aren’t enough to cool your pup down. They help us humans a lot in the hot weather, but dogs cool themselves by panting. A fan blowing on them won’t keep them safe in hot temperatures.
- Did you know that dogs can get sunburned? If your dogs have white ears they can be especially at risk. There’s pet-safe sunscreen you can buy to protect them.
- Pavement gets really hot, especially asphalt. Your dog might not complain but they could be burning their feet on their daily walk without you even knowing it! Try to stick to grass and dirt paths.
- Dogs can get heatstroke! Signs of this can include heavy panting, fast breathing, and loss of balance.
4 things that can help:
- Try to do that daily walk in the early morning or late evening hours when the temperatures are lower. Exercise is good, even in the heat, but just like for us humans, less is probably better in the heat.
- Make sure your pup has access to shade and lots of water. By the way, a doghouse doesn’t count as shade. They can really heat up in hot weather and not give your dog the relief you hoped it would.
- Cool your pet down with a soak in the tub! It’s an easy way to lower their body temperature. Bonus: You’ll probably get soaked and cooled down in the process!
- Invest in a cooling mat or vest. Your furry friend with thank you!
Here’s to a safe and cool summer for you and your fur family! Stay safe and enjoy the summer!
By Kathy Schmidt, Broker/Owner, Schmidt Realty Group Inc.